Friday 7 October 2011

Influences

After writing a the stories in my 'Confroting Reality' collection (the seven stories described in the side bar) I found that a few were were similar to films and books I had read in the past. I hadn't set out out to replicate them, but they seeped into my mind and had an impact on the end result.

Below I list two influences on four stories. I couldn't find any parallels for three stories (Painting on the Wall, S. B. S.B + Parasite), so these aren't listed.

False Beauty

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano (Chile, novel, 1998)
The Outsider by Alber Camus (France, novel, 1942)

Deep Down in Talca

The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (Peru, novel, 2000)
Pulp Fiction by Quentin Tarantino (USA, film, 1994)

The Perpetual Death of the Composer

Doctor Faustus by Thomas Mann (Germany, novel, 1947)
The Locked Room by Paul Auster (USA, novella, 1987)

Planet Zhelanie

Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky (Russia, film, 1977)
The Circular Ruins by Jorge Luis Borges (Argentina, short story, 1941)

No comments: