Friday 4 February 2011

Review #18

The Green Ray- Written and Directed by Eric Rohmer

While Eric Rohmer may have a reputation of being difficult and cumbersome, I have found the opposite to be true, in comparison with the work of his New Wave peers, at least. I had heard of these films allegedly consisting of long, insufferably inane conversations. So much so that he was the last New Wave director I looked up - even after Rivette.

For some reason I find his films to be 'feel-good' experiences; they leave me feeling uplifted and cheery, even if they consist of sombre or morose subject matter. I am not one to watch Hollywood romantic comedies for the simple reason that they don't appeal to my sensibilities, but Rohmer adds enough of what I am interested in to make this type of cinema worthwhile.

The Green Ray is my favourite of his films I've seen so far because it really resonated with me. I, too, am an introvert and have spent a vast quantity of my life without much human contact. Like Delphine, I can't create many friendships because of many ingrained beliefs and ideals.

To begin with I did find her quite irritating but, unlike Rohmer's principal character in another comedies and proverbs cycle film Le beau mariage, she won me over in the end and I sympathised with her. Her crying outbursts or her pettiness is initially straining and irritating, but once we learn about her experiences the audience sides itself with her.

The cinematography has nothing remarkable about it; in fact, it is strikingly primitive. Like his narrative devices, it is all rather sparse - there is no score, there are no flashy camera angles or complex narrative devices. Rohmer draws you into the inner life of his characters in an austere and economical way that evokes many emotional responses. He does not have a cerebral agenda, either: this is a simple account of an introvert's difficulties in finding love or companionship.

Like an excellent book, it will leave you with fond memories, which are especially sparked off by a very satisfying finale.

No comments: